Thursday, June 17, 2010

Itadakimasu

"Itadakimasu" is what Japanese people say before they eat, inferring that they "gratefully/humbly receive" this food.

I've found that this, in a way, sums up the attitude I am to adopt during my time here. Mark--one of the Tokyo BEST club staffers--spoke to us about being a guest and a learner in this country. There is so much that I don't know and will not know without the help of the people here, and I need to bring myself to a position ready to gratefully/humbly receive what they have to offer.
Michelle & Misaki

Natsuki & me

Nanako, Young Mi, & Monique

The students whom I've met so far are making this transition very easy for me. On Wednesday, we met them for the first time at the university for "lunch table." During this time, we get to eat and talk with the students, getting to know each other and build relationships just like anywhere else...except here, we get to do so over a delicious $4.00 meal of tempura, rice, and miso soup!


Chuo Univesity!

Well, 'tis now Friday and I am off to lunch table, again! Yay!

I feel like so much has happened already, and I want to tell you EVERYTHING. But, alas! Time is short and space is limited. I hope to have more detailed stories next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment